VillagesOKC is a member-driven, volunteer-run, not-for-profit organization serving the greater Oklahoma City Metro area, from Guthrie to Norman and Choctaw to El Reno. Members connect to develop the resources needed to age comfortably in the home of their choosing. Wherever two or more members have an interest or question, VillagesOKC organizes connections around those interests, focus groups, and support teams. We find purpose helping others and thus helping ourselves. Like any good neighbor, we offer occasional volunteer support for each other for the bumps in life!
VillagesOKC strives to enable "villagers" who want to age in-place to care for one another with spirit and dignity.
We believe, too, that people are healthier and happier when they are connected to others and the community. When our members are faced with challenges, they don’t need to face them alone. We seek to create a caring, respectful and positive community that is characterized by compassion, kindness, and generosity.
Our vision is multiple Villages where:
• Area "villagers" come together to support each other
• Aging-in-place is a viable option instead of institutional living
• Trusted volunteers or vendors are on the job after one-call for help
• Loneliness is met with genuine caring
• Life-long learning is a regular, intentional part of living
• Individual Villages call the shots through self-governed boards and relationships in the Village.
• Members are empowered through selfgovernance and a healthy relationship to the hub organization. VillagesOKC is a member of the national Village to Village Network.
Villages embrace bringing services to people rather than moving people to services. The first Village began more than a decade ago when a few aging friends and neighbors joined forces to create a way for them to "age at home" and remain independent as long as possible. There are now nearly 300 Villages nationwide.