VillagesOKC is a member-driven, volunteer-run, not-for-profit organization serving the broad, area-wide Oklahoma City community. VillagesOKC (established July 2018) is the first Village serving the Oklahoma City area. We are a member organization.
As the hub for virtual Villages across the metro Oklahoma City community, we enable "neighbors" who want to age in-place to care for one another with spirit and dignity.
Our vision is multiple Villages where:
• Area "villagers" come together to support each other
• Aging-in-place is a viable option instead of institutional living
• Trusted volunteers or vendors are on the job after one-call for help
• Loneliness is met with genuine caring
• Life-long learning is a regular, intentional part of living
• Individual Villages call the shots through self-governed boards and relationships in the Village.
• Members are empowered through selfgovernance and a healthy relationship to the hub organization. VillagesOKC is a member of the national Village to Village Network.
Villages embrace bringing services to people rather than moving people to services. The first Village began more than a decade ago when a few aging friends and neighbors joined forces to create a way for them to "age at home" and remain independent as long as possible. There are now nearly 300 Villages nationwide.